A few months ago, I was asked to make an altar cloth that was very dense, for a specific altar. This is what I came up with. It’s called “Snowflurry”, and it’s made lengthwise rather than in squares.
I like it. It’s simple, and elegant, but one of the things I discovered after making this lace was that even though it was dense and beautiful, it tended to stretch more in one direction than in the other, making it difficult to keep blocked. In order to help it keep its shape, I modified it, added extra stitching in a double row around just before the border. The stay stitching helps! However, I’ve learned an important lesson, block patterns are better than one piece patterns for altar lace.
Interesting lesson learned!